President Donald Trump’s selection of a replacement for Justice Anthony Kennedy threatens to do three things of decades-long consequence:
- Overturn crucial decisions, including those relating to abortion rights and marriage equality, where Justice Kennedy provided the needed fifth vote to protect essential rights.
- Burden America for decades with a cruel, anti-democratic and pro-corporation jurisprudence of sweeping reach.
- Impact the law on key issues regarding the investigation of Trump and his campaign, affecting not only the future of the Trump presidency but the nation’s long-term commitment to the rule of law and limits on executive power.
Here’s the thing about Trump’s selection: The nominee must be confirmed by the U.S. Senate.
We’re uniquely positioned to ensure each and every senator has extensive information about the nominee’s record in key areas of major consequence.
But we need your support to make it happen.
Trump aims to make his pick next Monday, July 9, and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell aims to hold a confirmation vote by the end of September.
So this whole thing is going to move extremely fast.
They’re rushing the process in order to confirm a new justice before the next election — and to act before the American people have a chance to realize what’s at stake.
Drawing on our expertise and experience litigating, here’s what we are going to do:
- Detail how recent Supreme Court decisions have empowered the superrich in elections (think Citizens United) and undermined voting rights, explain how these decisions were a radical departure from precedent and describe the consequences if those cases are further entrenched.
- Explain how recent Supreme Court decisions have turned the First Amendment into a tool to empower corporations and undermine regulatory controls. (Justice Elena Kagan just called these decisions a “weaponization” of the First Amendment.)
- Explore the legal issues that may arise from Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into the Trump campaign and potential obstruction of justice — legal issues that may very well be presented to the Supreme Court.
Once Trump has made his pick, we’ll dive into the nominee’s record in these and other key areas.
We’ll make sure this information is in the hands of each and every senator.
The stakes couldn’t be higher.
President, Public Citizen
© 2018 Public Citizen • 1600 20th Street, NW / Washington, D.C. 20009 • unsubscribe