Washington is hot with chatter that President Donald Trump will fire Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein — Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s boss — any moment.
If this happens, it will plunge our country into a constitutional crisis.
The ONLY reason for Trump to fire Rosenstein is to neuter Mueller’s investigation into Russian involvement in the 2016 election, potential collusion by the Trump campaign, obstruction of justice and related issues.
Because Attorney General Jeff Sessions has recused himself from matters relating to Russia and the 2016 election, Rosenstein oversees Mueller’s investigation, and he alone has the power to fire Mueller.
The point of firing Rosenstein is to install a lackey who will fire Mueller or kneecap his investigation.
We can’t let that happen.
The idea that the president can maneuver to shut down an independent investigation of his potentially wrongful activities is not just an affront to the rule of law.
It starts the slide to authoritarianism.
If Rosenstein is fired, we and our allies will activate our emergency response network.
More than 320,000 people already have committed to participate in same-day, flash demonstrations around the country.
Right now, we need you to do two things:
- First, be on the ready for a notice from us that Rosenstein has been fired and that it’s crucial you find a local demonstration near you.
We’ve been pursuing a multitrack plan to protect the Mueller investigation:
- We’ve helped convene and coordinate a coalition of more than 100 organizations devoted to protecting the investigation and defending the rule of law.
- We helped initiate the rapid response network that has swelled to more than 300,000 people in all 50 states ready to respond to Trump crossing red lines to thwart the investigation.
We’re working every day to grow the response network by tens of thousands more.
- We’re pushing and coordinating congressional allies to stand up to Trump.
Just this past week, the effort yielded a bipartisan, unified legislative proposal in the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate to protect the investigation.
That bill is now scheduled to get quick uptake in the Senate.
- We’re communicating to the press, messaging over social media and reaching out to a vast number of allies — all to protect the fundamentals of our democracy.
The work we’ve done together with allies has been amazing.
The hundreds of thousands pledged to protest immediately is astounding.
But it’s not enough.
We need to ratchet up all of our activities to deter Trump from making reckless moves and to strengthen congressional resolve.
And, if he actually throws us into the constitutional crisis — well, then we’ll need to do orders of magnitude more.
Trump is testing our democracy.
I have no doubt that we — all of us, together — are ready to meet the test.
In solidarity and with determination,
President, Public Citizen
© 2018 Public Citizen • 1600 20th Street, NW / Washington, D.C. 20009 • unsubscribe